[MudWalker] Medievia.com Fonts and Sounds

Trey Holliday treyholliday at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:18:50 PST 2008

I've been working on getting things such as the Medievia fonts to work
on any Mac-compatible mud client.  The problem is that the font used for
the "mud font 5" setting is a Windows-proprietary type file.  Even when
I tried to convert it to a universal fixed-width file, the output
doesn't parse correctly.  I've spoken with Vryce and he assures me that
if we can get somebody with some knowledge of dealing with fonts, that
it can be done, but the Medievia specific font was developed on the
Windows platform with zMud, without giving any other platforms a second
thought.  The "mud font 3" true type font works decently, but using it
adds a bit of client-side lag unless you almost completely kill your
scrollback.

On the sound set that Medievia created for itself, trust me, it's
actually not that great.  I had way back in the early days of Medievia
when I was using a PC and I turned it back off about a week later.  I'm
no Lua expert, but I'm sure there's a way that Lua can call a .wav file
from the system through a sequence of triggers in a similar way that
Medievia calls the sound files to begin with.

Trey Holliday
http://medonmac.blogspot.com