[phobos] Status of std.gregorian

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 05:07:15 PDT 2010

On Sunday 15 August 2010 04:41:28 SHOO wrote:
> I had an impression(for std.date) like yours in the past, too and made
> std.time. However, there was the issue of license with Tango, and it was
> not connected to Phobos.
> std.gregorian was developed as a substitute, but unfortunately the API
> does not even satisfy a matter.
> I want something which supplements this lack heartily.
>

> BTW, I showed the stopwatch which used a performance counter at the same
> time. This was developed in the totally clean situation that did not take
> influence at all of Tango.
> If it is possible, I suggest that to remove std.perf(unlisted
> module/NOT boost license) and combine my stopwatch module instead.

Well, stopwatch functionality could be quite useful completely separately from
anything representing a date and time, so if you have something good, and it
doesn't have licensing issues, I'm all for having it in Phobos. High precision
timers can be quite useful.

As for the date and time functionality, I started on an implementation shortly
after my initial question yesterday, and I already have more functionality than
std.gregorian has completed, though I still have a ways to go. I've never looked
at the Tango stuff, so if what I do is acceptable, it won't have the same issues
that yours unfortunately did.

When I have something complete enough to be properly useable (though probably
not with all of the functionality that we'll eventually want), I'll post it
here. I hope to have that within a few days, if not sooner. As it is, I'm likely
going to have to implement something similar in C++ for work one of these days
soon anyway, so that our newer products won't have the same time issues as the
old ones. Historically, we've had to fix time-related bugs just about every time
DST rolls around.