[phobos] Upping the number of bugzilla votes from 10 to 100

Steve Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 08:19:44 PST 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Don Clugston <dclugston at googlemail.com>
>
> On 9 December 2010 14:47, Steve Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Can we have a published list  somewhere of the most voted bugs?  There used
>to be
> > the monthly "most  requested features" of D, which was horrifically out of
>date,
> > but it  reminded us every month that it was there.  A monthly post to the NG
>of
> >  the top 10 or top 20 most voted bugs would help keep people focused on the
>votes
> > IMO.
>
> Who do you mean by "people"? Do you mean  "Walter"?

No, everyone.  All the people on the NG would see that votes matter (at least to
make bugs move up the list), so they would be more likely to vote for bugs.
Also note that many bugs are not dmd's fault, so everyone who fixes bugs on
phobos can also pay attention to the list.

The fact is, I have no idea what the most voted-for bugs are.  And I'm not
inclined to go to bugzilla to look for that list, because I'm a passive observer
of it (even as someone who votes and who fixes bugs in Phobos!).  Having a
published list that I can easily glance at in my daily reading of the NG would
go a long way to bring awareness to the voting system.

Also, for instance, if I found a bug that I'm responsible for fixing jumped up
to #5 on the list, then I'd probably make a better effort to fix that bug as
soon as I can, whereas now, I keep saying "I really gotta fix those bugs
sometime".  Nagging works, as annoying as it is.

> > In effect, posting to the NG is like a squeaky wheel  calling for grease.
>
> Yes. But where the hell is the grease? It's not  actually created by
> the squeaking, unfortunately.

huh?  The grease is the cure for the squeaking, not created by squeaking.  What
I mean is that when it's made public what the community considers important, it
can help influence where "grease" (i.e. the development team's effort) is
applied.

> The problem is that  there are 70 bugs/month fixed, but >150 bugs
>reported/month.

I hope this changes over time.  The fact that Walter is working on pretty much
one thing (getting 64-bit support working) doesn't help.

IMO actually, we should really be focusing on getting the design for Phobos done
before we address many of these bugs.  I admit I have very little time to fix
bugs in D, which I think is a problem for many here.

> (incidentally  35/month come from  bearophile).

But many of bearophile's bugs are not bugs, they are either attempting to change
the design or to add some new feature.

-Steve