[phobos] std.process and unbuffered I/O (again)

Lars Tandle Kyllingstad lars at kyllingen.net
Mon Jan 3 14:14:29 PST 2011

Ok, now that bug 3979 is out of the way, there is, as far as we know,
only one thing standing in the way of finalising the design of
std.process, and that is the lack of unbuffered I/O in Phobos.

std.process needs a type akin to File, but without the buffering, for
handling pipes.  So I wrote a new one, which I called UnbufferedFile.
There was a debate about this on this list a while ago, in which Andrei
seemed to oppose the idea of having a separate type for that purpose,
and instead argued that File should be changed to allow unbuffered I/O.
I didn't really get a clear impression of others' opinions.  And now the
recent proposal for a streaming API has been thrown into the mix.
(Should pipe ends be UnbufferedTransports, perhaps?  I don't even know
how std.stdio.File will relate to the streaming module.)

What do you think, folks?

-Lars