[phobos] phobos commit, revision 2319

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jan 13 00:59:42 PST 2011

On Thursday 13 January 2011 00:47:37 Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 00:18:54 Don Clugston wrote:
> > PLEASE comment out the failing tests while you work on it. Reason
> > being, that it means that other people cannot tell if a change they've
> > checked in has broken the tests. This affects Phobos, druntime, and
> > the compiler. You should take the view that all development is blocked
> > while it's broken.
> > It is OK to break the tests (it would be useless if it never failed!)
> > But if it fails, get it working again ASAP by whatever means necessary
> > (including reverting the commit, or in the worst case, commenting out
> > tests).
>
> Okay. Will do. I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Sorry about that.
>
> That's going to be a bit of a pain since it's not that the tests are
> failing but rather that the compilation is just running out of memory, so
> I'm pretty much going to have to comment out a large portion of them one
> by one. But I'll make a stab at it.

To save time, I just versioned the whole module as Posix for the moment. I'll
re-enable it for Windows once I've had time to individually disable the unit
tests for Windows or managed to figure out why on earth its using so much memory.
But it seems to me that it pretty much has to be a compiler bug of some kind
that its eating up memory like that _while compiling_, so I'm not really sure
what I'm going to do about it. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to figure out an
appropriately small test case which shows the problem, but I think that it's the
sheer amount of test code which is the issue (or something in the test code,
which adds up when you have that much), so creating a smaller test case won't
necessarily be particularly feasible.