[phobos] std.process on github

Lars Tandle Kyllingstad lars at kyllingen.net
Mon Jan 24 03:03:17 PST 2011

This message is mainly for Steve, but I thought I'd send it to everyone
because it demonstrates how much more convenient it is to collaborate
using Git.

The new std.process has lain dormant for a while, waiting for some DMD
bugs to be fixed.  This has finally happened, and we can pick up where
we left off.

So I forked the Phobos repo,

        https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos

added a new branch, corresponding to a local branch on my computer,

        https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/tree/new-std-process

and finally I operated the changes locally and pushed to the Phobos
fork:

        https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/commit/347ce117eb1e0bff94c4387a0f1599a31ef8374d

While I could have done all of the above before, what makes this so
awesome is that I can now keep the development branch up-to-date with
the main Phobos repository at all times.  (I tried the same with the
devel/new-std-process branch in the old repo, and SVN borked the whole
thing on the first merge.)

Steve, it should be all ready for you to pull my changes and add the
Windows stuff at your convenience. :)

Note that I dropped the UnbufferedFile stuff and reverted to using File
everywhere.  This is because a) Andrei has said he intends to add
buffering control to File, and b) we may want to integrate pipes with
the upcoming std.stream.  Is it OK with you if we go with File for the
time being?

-Lars