[phobos] [dmd-internals] svn-->git migration

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:50:09 PST 2011

On 24 January 2011 18:55, Jesse Phillips <jesse.k.phillips at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Don Clugston <dclugston at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 January 2011 04:32, Jason Evans <jasone at canonware.com>
>>> Clone the repository.
>>>
>>>  $ git clone git at github.com:D-Programming-Language/druntime.git
>>
>> Worth noting that on Windows, you *must* be in the git bash shell. If
>> you try this from the windows command prompt you get:
>> Initialized empty Git repository in
>> /cygdrive/c/dmd2dev/src/gitdmd/druntime/.git/
>> fatal: exec ssh failed.
>> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>
> There shouldn't be any issue with using cmd or powershell. My guess is
> that an RSA was not generated, or you don't have your public key
> activated in your profile. I'm not exactly sure how this works with
> organizations, but this page should help:
>
> http://help.github.com/msysgit-key-setup/

No. It just plain doesn't work from cmd. It works fine from git bash.
Probably, it's just a path issue -- but the error message is dreadful.

However, git for Windows seems to be on about the same level of
development as 64-bit DMD. "It works" -- but only provided your
standards are very low. Trying to roll back a branch to an older
version of DMD, I got this beauty of an error message:
---------------------
error: bad index file sha1 signature
fatal: index file corrupt
error: bad index file sha1 signature