[phobos] Changelogs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 6 19:36:43 PST 2011

I'll bring this up again, since it didn't really go anywhere the last time it
was brought up. We have two issues with changelogs.

1. Changes to dmd, druntime, and Phobos are always lumped together in the
changelog for a release. This may or may not be desirable. Some have expressed
interest in separating them out - either as three projects or as two projects
with druntime lumped in with either dmd or Phobos.

2. As it stands, we have one changelog file, and it's in the d-programming-
language.org repository. Most of us don't have commit access to d-programming-
language.org, so if we want to update the changelog, we need to create a pull
request, and it seems rather silly to create a pull request for something that
small (not to mention, that encourages updating the changelog only when a
release happens when we really should be updating it as we fix bugs). So, either,
we need to have a separate changelog file in each project which is combined as
one in some manner in d-programming-language.org when a release happens, or we
need all of the Phobos devs to have commit access to d-programming-language.org
so that they can update the changelog themselves.

So, the first question is do we create changelog files in dmd, druntime, and
Phobos and then combine them into the one in d-programming-language.org when we
do a release, or do we make it so that all of the Phobos devs have commit access
to d-programming-language.org?

And the second question is whether we want to split up the information in the
changelog by project in some manner? If we do, having a changelog file per
project makes a lot of sense, regardless of whether we want all of the Phobos
devs to have commit access to d-programming-language.org.