[phobos] Phobos unit tests running out of memory

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 4 10:51:13 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, September 04, 2012 18:47:47 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 9/4/12 6:28 PM, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> > A proper solution would probably be to adapt the makefile to compile
> > each module separately for unittests, like it's done in posix.mak. But I
> > guess there's a reason why those unittests are combined right now.
>
> I think the only reason is historical. We should separate the unittests
> unless Walter has based objections. Walter?

One serious downside to building the unit tests separately is that we don't
catch circular dependencies.

Also, when Kenji created a pull request for doing that previously, Walter was
against it, because he thought that it was a good test for compiling a large
application:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/280#issuecomment-2259177

Then again, couldn't we just set it up so that each module is built separately
but linked into a single executable? If I understand correctly, that would
fix the memory issue and still make it so that we'd catch circular dependency
problems. It would probably make for a slower build though, and it's already
painfully slow on Windows (at least in my experience).