[phobos] Phobos unit tests running out of memory

kenji hara k.hara.pg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 16:37:26 PDT 2012

2012/9/5 David Simcha <dsimcha at gmail.com>:
> I think we need separate compilation for non-unittest Phobos compiles, too.

I've proposed it in the past, but Walter had been against it.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/280#issuecomment-2259177

> Antti-Ville's precise heap scanning, which will hopefully be integrated soon
> (I've been meaning to ping him on that) makes the non-unittest Phobos build
> process run out of memory on Windows because of all the template
> instantiations necessary.  Alternatively, we could bring back the compile
> time GC.  Walter, why was compile-time GC removed again?

Compile-time GC had broke some pull requests, at least including mine.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/147#issuecomment-2282965

And, as far as I know, it had increased compilation time.

Adding gc in Windows:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/commit/2f7ce3475

Removing gc:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/commit/8515995

I couldn't find the commit for stopping gc use...

Kenji Hara