D Language Foundation May 2024 Monthly Meeting Summary

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Aug 28 13:53:47 UTC 2024

On 29/08/2024 12:55 AM, Mike Shah wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 09:04:58 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 07:43:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Thanks for the write-up Mike!
>
> I do like @live, curious others thoughts? Perhaps it doesn't need to be
> an attribute though and is instead a compiler flag for an analysis pass
> on any function (kind of reminds me of frameworks like Soot for Java
> that you control various analysis passes). Perhaps a conversation for
> another thread 🙂

Word of warning on @live, for owner escape analysis to function, you
must have escape analysis. It uses DIP1000 for "escape analysis".

The only issue with this is, what I realized recently is that DIP1000
isn't escape analysis, its owner escape analysis for stack memory.

These two analysis's are completely opposite in what they offer in terms
of guarantees.