Beerconf October

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 09:15:08 UTC 2024

To expand on Steven's summary of the idea. There are a few
specific goals that I have in mind:

1. Merge as many of the PR's as possible. Priority will be given
to bug fixes.
2. Leave reviews/next-steps on the remaining ones that we want to
merge but can't.
3. Clean up as many old/stalled/abandoned PR's as possible.

### How will it work?

On Saturday, we'll go down the list of Open PR's sequentially
until we get to the PR's that are over two years old (marked as
"Stalled"). For each PR we will conduct a review and determine
which of the following actions to take:

1. Approve and Merge. Obviously this is only available for PR's
that are in a mergeable state.
2. Request changes. If we can't merge it we'll let you know why.
3. Close. This means that we think the PR is either unnecessary
or unrecoverable in it's current state.

On Sunday we will continue with the remainder of the list. If
you've updated a PR with Requested Changes we will merge it at
this time.

Finally on Monday morning I will go through the list of PR's and
close all PR's marked as stalled. I'll hold of on this until then
in case anybody resurrects their stalled PR during BeerConf.

### A few notes.

While none of us can be online for the entire weekend (the
tyranny of sleep!) we should have somebody available to review
and merge for most of the weekend. Furthermore, since this is
being done in conjunction with BeerConf, the fastest way to get
your PR reviewed and merged will be to join the BeerConf stream
and talk with us directly. Not only should this significantly
improve the speed at which we can review your PR, it will also be
more fun.

Nick Wilson has kindly gone through the PR's on noted which ones
need a rebase. If your PR is one of those PR's please rebase it
and make sure everything is up-to-date. Once that is done we can
merge your PR.

If you have a PR that is currently marked as "Stalled" (all PR's
over two years are marked at stalled), and you would like to get
it reviewed, please rebase it and let somebody in the BeerConf
stream know which PR you resurrected.

Some PR's have unaddressed feedback that needs to be addressed
before we can merge them. If you can address that feedback before
BeerConf, that'd be awesome, otherwise if you want to seek
additional feedback, please join us on the BeerConf stream and
will help you further. While the goal is to get as many PR's as
possible merged, we still have to follow the standards and
guidelines.

Don't have any open PR's but want to help out? There are 980 open
Phobos bugs to choose from! You can find the complete list on the
Bugzilla
[here](https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?component=phobos&limit=0&order=bug_id%20DESC&product=D&query_format=advanced&resolution=---). Some of these are super simple. Document fixes, attribute fixes, and the like. While we will be focusing on existing PR's, one way to get your favorite bug fixed is to submit a PR before BeerConf. And if you don't feel like making a PR, doing an audit of the existing bugs to see if any have been missed for Resolution would also be helpful, I've already found one.

### Why are we doing this?

The more of these that we get into Phobos prior to migrating
modules to v3 the less work we'll have to do in v3 and the faster
we can deliver v3 to you. In most cases, v3 won't be
significantly altering the implementations so getting the
improvements in now will pay dividends later. Another reason is
that getting bug fixes into Phobos now reduces the number of
bug-fixes that we have to duplicate between v2 and v3. Aside from
significantly improving the quality of Phobos v2 and v3, other
benefits include cleaning the cruft out of the PR queue and being
able to clap back at the doubters and haters, we are not dead!

It is my hope that by putting this call to action out there, we
can get at least a few people to resurrect their old PR's and get
them merged. If you have a PR that you've abandoned you are
invited and encouraged to rebase your PR and get it back into
shape for merging.