dmd-lsp: a D language server built with dmd as a library

Ssenni ssenni at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 11:10:31 UTC 2026


On Thursday, 17 September 2026 at 08:52:39 UTC, xoxorwr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As many of you know, the state of D tooling, specially editor 
> tooling, is pretty poor.
>
> There are a few existing LSPs, and while they are very helpful, 
> they don't support many of D features and have to approximate 
> what the compiler is actually doing.
>
> So, I decided to tackle this problem, and try to use DMD itself 
> as the backend for an LSP.
>
> After a few weeks of work (and the help of a LLM), I'm happy to 
> say I got it working!
>
> The LSP supports every D features (it's dmd after all).
>
> It supports most modern platforms (linux, macOS intel & arm*, 
> windows*) and there is also a vscode extension available.
>
> It doesn't support dub yet, so you'll have to maintain a json 
> file where you put your import paths, check the readme for 
> configuration!
>
> There is still plenty to polish, but the core is there now and 
> it's working exceptionally well.
>
> Give it a try:
> https://github.com/xoxorwr/dmd-lsp

This is very promising. Because of my dissatisfaction with 
existing editor tooling, I had been working on a VS Code 
extension based around DMD, with its JSON output as the 
foundation. But using DMD as a library seems like a much better 
way. Since yours works on Windows now, I'm looking forward to 
trying it more extensively (and maybe I can ditch my own 
extension).


More information about the Digitalmars-d-announce mailing list