Help me decide D or C

Aurélien Plazzotta aurelien.plazzotta at protonmail.com
Sun Aug 4 13:19:44 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 3 August 2019 at 12:29:18 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Knowing many paradigms well is proven experimentally (see the
> work by Petre, Green, Gilmore, and others) to improve
> capability in any given language. So knowing Java, Prolog,
> Lisp, Python, SQL, C, Go, Rust, D, Kotlin, Groovy, Ruby to a
> goodly level of competence makes you a better programmer in any
> one of them.

Thank you Russel Winder. Thanks to your comment, I was able to
find the book you spoke of and ordered it immediately.
For those who may be interested, here it is:
Psychology of Programming (Computers and People Series), written
by J-M Hoc, T.R.G. Green, R. samurcay, & D. Gilmore, published in
1991 by Academic Press.

As for me, it is interesting to notice that the authors of this
book work for Inria, the same French Institute who created F*
language in partnership with Microsoft Research, along with Low*,
a subset of F* language and its librairies, focused on C features
(e.g. the C memory model, stack and heap-allocated arrays,
machine integers, C string literals, etc.).
See https://fstarlang.github.io/lowstar/html/Introduction.html
for more details.

It is really refreshing for the community to have someone like
you who keep connections with other languages, technologies and
paradigms.

I wish you the best!