Second Draft: Primary Type Syntax

Quirin Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:36:23 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 09:15:56 UTC, IchorDev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 18:22:03 UTC, Quirin Schroll wrote:
>> **Abstract**
>>
>> The goal of this proposal is that every type expressible by
>> D’s type system also has a representation as a sequence of D
>> tokens.
>> The type constructs that lack a representation are function
>> pointer and delegate types that return by reference and/or
>> have a non-default linkage.
>
> The fact that this currently isn’t possible feels like a stupid
> oversight. Especially important to me is being able to use
> `extern(C)` without having to make an alias. And the proposed
> grammar looks great.

Thank you. If `extern(C)` is important to you, I’d really, really
appreciate help in making it work. Currently, I’m focusing on
`ref` to be honest, in particular integrating the `ref` variable
support merged yesterday. Some Notes in the DIP outright say: My
implementation can *parse* linkages (for the most part), but it
*does not apply* them to the function/delegate type. It’s not
like my parse.d code just skips linkages. It does assign the seen
linkage to the function type, but somewhere further down, that
linkage is ignored or gets lost.