Second Draft: Primary Type Syntax

Quirin Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 20:38:42 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 15:15:27 UTC, IchorDev wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 13:36:23 UTC, Quirin Schroll wrote:
>> Thank you. If `extern(C)` is important to you, I’d really,
>> really appreciate help in making it work. Currently, I’m
>> focusing on `ref` to be honest, in particular integrating the
>> `ref` variable support merged yesterday. Some Notes in the DIP
>> outright say: My implementation can *parse* linkages (for the
>> most part), but it *does not apply* them to the
>> function/delegate type. It’s not like my parse.d code just
>> skips linkages. It does assign the seen linkage to the
>> function type, but somewhere further down, that linkage is
>> ignored or gets lost.
>
> I must say, working on dmd is not my strong suit, but in a few
> weeks I might have some spare time to at least attempt to help

Neither it’s mine. This is my first real attempt to do something
with the compiler.

I just finished integrating Walter’s PR that enabled `ref`
variables. When I started the implementation, `ref` variables
were a pipe dream, so at various places, there were assumptions
that X or Y isn’t possible, but now it is.

I see the implementation more as a proof of concept. It very
likely has issues all over the place, but the deal is, an
implementation (even a sketchy one, I hope) makes it more likely
to get a DIP accepted. And if people can experiment with it, it’s
probably a win, too.

(I mean, Walter’s `ref` variable implementation isn’t perfect
either.)

> I’d also like to know whether either of the language
> maintainers look like they are on board with this idea before
> dedicating too much time to an implementation.

I’m throwing this idea around for a while now. As of now, it
hasn’t faced much opposition. After all, it’s a problem that to
my knowledge everyone agrees needs fixing and, while the proposal
has become lengthy, it’s actually a quite innocuous change.

> (Maybe one of us can mention it to Walter at this month’s
> meeting?)

Anyone can join the monthly meeting? I didn’t know that. If I
misunderstood you, but you’re invited, yes, please bring this to
higher-ups’ attention. IMO, it’s embarrassing that D can’t
express various types directly.