GDC - who does what?

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:04:40 PST 2010

Steve Teale wrote:

> Thanks Michael, that's helpful. If I put together a GDC-newbiew page, can
> I quote you.

Well, thanks for your page, but please let's concentrate all the
informations about gdc in the gdc wiki in bitbucket. It's better for newbies
to have a single place with all the informations they need.

Again, everyone is elegible to edit the wiki, just contact me to have the
writing rights for your account.

> In your view, is the bitbucket repository now the 'official' source? Also
> there's a guy called Arthur who works on the Ubuntu GDC package. Are you
> in contact with him, and do you know if he is going to upgrade to the
> 1.043 version.

Yes, the bitbucket repo is the only active one, i've spoken with David and
he seems really busy in real life works. I'm in contact with Arthur and we
collaborate for packages (he works for debian, i work for ubuntu).

> If I build binaries of the sources periodically, can they be put in the
> repo. I am retired, so I have some time to do stuff and deal with
> questions and problems, and I'm a reasonably quick learner.

Nope, that's not the way people get sources in linux based operating
systems. People use package managers, so let's use them!

All the packages related to D are tested in the D programming language
repository before being included in the debian archive (thanks to Arthur
that recently added the ldc package too!). The archive can be reached
through this link: https://launchpad.net/~d-language-packagers/+archive/ppa

In this way people will get updates automatically after installing the
repository.

Also Mathias Klose, from Ubuntu, contacted me for a newer package of gdc in
the ubuntu-debian repo. I told him that as soon as we are able to run gdc d1
and gdc d2 with the latest gcc frontedn (the same of the ubuntu toolchain)
we can provide a package.
Having a gdc package compiled with another version of gcc instead the one in
which is used in the toolchain can lead to very nasty problems.

Everyone who wants to collaborate please start downloading the gdc code
following these instructions:

http://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/Home

And then start hacking it. Please remember that compilers are the most
complex piece of software that a human can do, so don't give up when you
find a first problem.

Wish you the best luck.

Best Regards,

--