Slow IDE's, Was: DMD 1.012 release

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Thu Apr 19 06:47:35 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Does that happens all the time? If so, for that computer, I'd say it's
> abnormally slow, even for Eclipse. Before my current computer I had a
> 1700 athlon XP, 1 Gb RAM, Windows XP and it wasn't nowhere as slow as
> that, it was 15, 30 seconds tops for full loading.

> If you are interested, I would recommend doing some troubleshooting,
> trying a load in another computer to see if it is still as slow, and
> maybe searching the eclipse website, trying some diferent java VM
> parameters, checking if Eclipse isn't loading unnecessary plugins, etc..

I can make it a lot faster by disabling unnecessary plugins, that's no
problem. It's just a PITA if you need a lot of them as I usually do. I
develop stuff in Java, Ruby, C/C++ and D. I also have several plugins
for testing and metrics, visual stuff, bug tracking and version control.
JVM 1.6 could be faster, but all plugins don't support it yet.

Tweaking the JVM might also help. I just installed everything from
scratch a while ago so I have not had time to do that. Previously I ran
it in the -server JVM mode which made it a bit faster.

> My current computer is a 3500+ Athlon 64, 1Gb RAM, and Eclipse still
> takes a while to load (10-15 seconds) but once inside I never note any
> slowness (unless loading a new plugin, which only happens once per
> session).

It probably gets faster after a while, because of JIT etc. Still it's
nowhere near as fast as, let's say, KDevelop. But yes, you're right,
something can be done and this is not optimal.