[OT] Vista (was: Entice Designer 0.8.2 release)

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 23:50:19 PDT 2007

Saaa wrote:
> I didn't hear anything about drm being the cause of crappy creative drivers,
> I thought it was this:
> http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html

Basically, MS changed the whole audio stack over to software-only and
just uses the soundcard as a DAC *because* of the DRM stuff.  DRM isn't
the technical reason why soundcard's got demoted, but it *is* the
motivation.

> DirectX 10 is really great and it really seems to be made for the hardware
> iso the other way around.
> I think http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=146749 gives really
> good examples of the same new approach.
> (Its an interesting talk in itself although being a tad long ;)
> These small differences are really hard to see and extremely hard to
> market...
> Like HyperThreading: Its not always faster and even slower at times, but
> talking about system responsiveness it beats a single core without a doubt.

Yeah, but if I write for DX10, it runs on... Vista.  Only.  Not even XP.
  When I found out that Alan Wake was Vista only, I was *seriously*
pissed off.  I was *really* looking forward to that after Max Payne 1
and 2.  I'm not going to forgive Microsoft for that one easily.

As for development, I think I'll just wait for OpenGL 3.0 (I think it's
3.0) which will run on pretty much everything, and IIRC be pretty damn
close to DX10 anyway.  And anything that doesn't run OpenGL will
probably run ES :P

> I didn't know where to move this discussion. But I would like to know the
> ideas of those who know more than me...
> The choice of OS is important enough.

Yeah; threads on these NGs tend to get off track sometimes.  Maybe we
should just make a digitalmars.D.offtopic group :P

	-- Daniel

--
int getRandomNumber()
{