tiobe D remains at 14 but is losing ground for the second month

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Jun 13 11:54:16 PDT 2007

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>
>> janderson wrote:
>>> The June tiobe scores are out.  D remains at 14 but is losing ground for
>>> the second month.
>> Could this be because we are concentrating on advanced issues in D, and
>> totally ignoring the *users*?
>
> I believe it's more because there hasn't been many revolutionary new
> features in the last releases and also because of the slower release cycle.
>
>> As a first step, maybe we should split the D ng somehow?
>>
>> Maybe D.1 and D.2, or simply D and D.advanced?
>
> Some kind of moderation would also help. Of course it causes additional work
> to the ng admin (Walter) and complicates archiving, but there are many
> posts that are sent to wrong group - especially bug reports and newbie
> questions.

The buzz generated by the D1.0 release is dying down.  That's all.  You
can't really expect it to stay at the peak it reached following that.  D
was on slashdot, and that probably led to D being on blogs all over
tarnation, and that lead to some magazine articles, etc etc.  But the
echo is fading out.  Aside from the top 5 or so, Tiobe is really about
nothing other than how much buzz a language is generating.

Still I find D links popping up more and more often in my google
searches for generic non-d-specific things.  But maybe it's google
showing me D pages preferentially because I do search for them a lot?
Does google do that kind of per-user jiggering of rankings with all that
search history they hold onto?

--bb