OT: Flash and Javascript (Was: Taunting)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun May 24 13:22:11 PDT 2009

"grauzone" <none at example.net> wrote in message
news:gvc6r3$2dmi$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
>> news:gvc4kc$29bd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> And, (and here's the real clincher), since I obviously can't enforce
>>> proper design on the web, the one thing I *can* do is just simply
>>> disable that shit. So I do. And as you can already tell, I'm far from
>>> the only one.
>
> Definitely not. That led to the creation of Firefox extensions like
> NoScript. NoScript is one of the most popular extensions, along Adblock
> and (like I just found out) Video DownloadHelper to download videos from
> sites like YouTube.

Adblock is essential. Most ads have gotten so completely out-of-hand, I
seriously wouldn't even be using the web anymore if it weren't for Adblock.

I've been meaning to try NoScript. Currently, I'm using QuickJava, which
places a *very* convenient toggle button on the status bar that let's you
turn JS on/off. But I've found there are some sites/pages where I need it to
be off, and others I need it on, and QuickJava doesn't have a way of saving
the settings on a site-by-site or page-by-page basis. So I'm constantly
that I go to the Tango docs, I forget to turn JS off, and just because of
that I have to wait nearly half a minute before I can correct the mistake or
even switch to another tab (Why the stop button doesn't work on
JS-processing is beyond me...).

IIRC, I think NoScript does let you do site-by-site, right? I just hope it
plays nice with QuickJava though, (or contains QuickJava-style
functionality), because trying to configure sites/pages manually would be a
major PITA and possibly not even be worth it.

And then there's FlashBlock, which I *would* absolutely love...except it
*only* works with JS enabled!!! ^&$&^%^^&!!! And frankly, I just don't have
the time to dig into FF extension-writing and do things the way I really
want them.

But of course, these are all just clumbsy symptom-attacking hacks anyway,
not real solutions. Plus there's the issue that the more extentions you're
using, the slower FF gets... So at best you're just fixing one problem at
the cost of another.