New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 11 00:08:10 PDT 2010

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:i8u779$d4a$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:i8ta2d$1lnd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:

>>> - Safari is ruled out because it's a blurry mess (all for the sake of
>>> making
>>> it look more like the printed version? WTF?) and forces useless
>>> background
>>> processes, has zero respect for my system's look-and-feel, and has no
>>> "Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or "BetterPrivacy" (Three FF add-ons that
>>> provide functionality that, for me, are absolutely 100% essential).
>>>
>>> - IE7+ is out because it has no "Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or
>>> "BetterPrivacy", and I don't like the unified forward/back buttons.
>>>
>>> - Iron is out because I *hate* absolutely everything about it's UI, and
>>> it
>>> doesn't have "NoScript" (I've heard it has "AdBlock Plus", but I didn't
>>> see
>>> it when I first looked so I don't know). Also, configurability seems to
>>> be
>>> practically non-existent compared to FF.
>>>
>>> - Chrome is out because of all the reasons for which Iron was created in
>>> the
>>> first place. I won't even allow Chrome (or Safari) on my computer at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> - Opera is ruled out because it costs money and every time I tried the
>>> demos
>>> it seemed to combine the worst aspects of all the other browsers, plus
>>> had
>>> by far the most rendering problems.
>>>
>>> - And everything else like IE6-, Netscape, WebTV, Lynx, etc are all
>>> ruled
>>> out for obvious reasons.
>>
>> Perhaps try firefox 4 (beta)? It is much faster, probably on par with
>> chrome
>> now, and it looks a bit cleaner designed.
>>

> I'll probably try it at some point, but I seriously doubt it won't be the
> same story as FF3. It's Mozilla's basic nature to refuse to allow users to
> disable any of Mozilla's beloved *cough* "improvements", and to merely
> scoff whenever people don't like it. They're never shown any interest in
> making anything about the AwfulBar optional. Same with the unified
> forward/back buttons, or every ugly-ass theme FF has insisted on using
> starting with FF2 (That's why I use Winestripe.) And like most developers,
> they've never shown any respect for people with light-on-dark schemes.
> Etc, etc, etc, And they're a bunch or arrogant douchebags to boot.
> Mozilla just has their heads ten miles up their asses and that's all there
> is to it, and I don't believe for a second anything's ever going to change
> that.
>
> Like I said, I'll probably try it at some point, but I *very* much doubt
> it won't be the same story as FF3. And from the screenshots, it looks like
> it'll end up absolutely horrid-looking on the Win Classic theme, just like
> [...]

Just found a portable install of FF4 and tried it. And yea, pretty much like
I expected. Just like all the other software being made these days, it
refuses to use anything even resembling my native UI. Not to the horrid
extent of Chrome/Iron, but still far worse then FF2+Winestripe. And, of
course, there's no option to make it use native. There's no options to get
rid of the AwfulBar, in whole or in part. There's no option to de-unify the
unified forward/back buttons. And as far as finding add-ons to take care of
that stuff, I'm not interested in loading my browser down with even *more*
add-ons than I'm already using.

I'd rather do without all the pointless animations, but, again, they don't
seem to allow that. And there's still a bunch of irritating tooltips,
although FF2 has them too (But you'd think that *by now* they'd have had a
chance to put in an option to disable them.)

It is faster, but that's not enough to make up for a shit UI.