dmd 1.069 and 2.054 release

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue Jul 12 15:16:35 PDT 2011

Michel Fortin, el 12 de julio a las 18:03 me escribiste:
> On 2011-07-12 16:52:10 -0400, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar> said:
> >This is what deprecated is for! Removing stuff breaks code, not
> >deprecating stuff! Deprecated really is "scheduled for removal", so
> >"scheduled for deprecation" is "scheduled for scheduled for removal", it
> >makes no sense. Fix the compiler!
>
> Actually it sometime makes sense that you'd schedule something to be
> later scheduled for removal. If there is no replacement for a
> certain feature, making it deprecated is just a nuisance since the
> compiler will complain about the problem but you have no alternative
> yet.

What's the point of scheduling something for removal when you don't have
an alternative? I really can't see the point. If you just plan to do an
alternative but you don't want to bother anyone, just don't mark it as
deprecated. If you do want to tell people "hey, better not to use this",
then mark it as deprecated. If you have a replacement you can't even
schedule anything, and if you can, you can deprecate it too.

> Now, I think the argument for scheduling things for deprecation is
> just an extreme of that: deprecating things is a nuisance because it
> breaks code, so we'll schedule them to be deprecated later. But then
> we add a warning for those things scheduled for deprecation because
> we don't want people to use them, and "scheduled for deprecation"
> has just become a synonym for "deprecated but not yet breaking your
> code". Fixing deprecated to not break code by default is a better
> option, I think.

Agreed, changing the default in my patch is a one-line change.