Runtime code reloading in D, part 1

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Mon Dec 31 06:40:48 PST 2012

Am 31.12.2012 15:02, schrieb DypthroposTheImposter:
>    Do you find that D without GC is more effective than C++? Seems like
> you would be stuck using structs which seems somewhat limiting, even
> compared to C++...
>
>   UE4 has similar reloading capabilities(using DLLs), though they use
> C++ and rely more on the ability to serialize everything

Why should I be stuck with structs? Its the exact same as in C++. I did
build my own new and delete operators (as templates). It's not that hard
and works pretty well, only the syntax is not ideal in some cases. I can
use everything you can use with D+GC. Sometimes you have to be carefull
with implict allocations (e.g. closures, array literals) but I have a
leak detector that points me to these directly and usually its easy to
free these manually.

And I'm quite a bit more productive then in C++. Module constructors
with a defined order instead of random static initalizers,
code generation isnstead of huge amounts of boilerplate code and many
other features are the cause of this.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut