http://dlang.org/bugstats.php

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 22 23:00:33 PST 2012

On Monday, January 23, 2012 01:47:23 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> There's a basic, trivial rule of design that needs to be plastered all over
> the cubicle walls of every software developer on the planet. I've spent
> years trying to shout it out at every opportinity, but so far I've barely
> made even a microscopic dent.
>
> Here it is:
>
> "When you set a foreground or background color: SET THE OTHER ONE TOO!!!"
>
> Always. Period. No matter what. In *anything*. Yes, that means YOU, no
> matter who the "YOU" is!!
>
> Either *both* system-default, or *both* application-set: NEVER cross those
> streams! Never, never, never, never, NEVER!
>
> Honestly, it's an absolute *travesty* that any interface APIs, HTML/CSS,
> etc., ever even *allow* the developer to have one set as system-default and
> not the other.

While I agree with you, that's not the problem here. The problem is that the
majority of the page doesn't use the brower's defaults, but the boxes don't.
Now, it's quite possible that the boxes are screwed up to the point that one
of the two defaults is messed up, but that wasn't my complete.

Actually, Konqueror (which is my primary browser) has a long-standing bug that
makes it so that if the page doesn't set the foreground and background colors,
the system color is used for the background, but black is always used for the
foreground. It sucks for me, since I end up with black on darker blue, and
it's hard to read (unfortunately, any attempts to report it have been lumped
in with the complaints about pages not looking correct when the page sets the
colors in some places but not all - which isn't the browsers fault at all - so
it continues to remain broken). So, I'm screwed even if neither color was set
rather than the web developer screwing up and setting only one of them.

- Jonathan M Davis