UIs for Linux [ was Re: D 1.076 and 2.061 release ]

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 07:53:53 PST 2013

On 3 January 2013 09:29, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 00:34 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> > >>
> > > Going OT but can't agree more :)
> >
> > I use a command prompt, and don't particular care about the UI <g>.
>
> There was a revolution in Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora that will affect
> you even if you are just a command line person (as I am).  Ubuntu moved
> to Unity which only Canonical staff seem to like. Debian and Fedora

I don't know, there are many users out there who rather like Unity too...

> stuck with GNOME 3 and the Gnome Shell, which many people hate but

Debian did switch to XFCE as the default desktop environment in August, and
I think Mint forked Gnome 2.  There's a lot a distribution can do or can
switch to, so they are not really stuck at all.

> actually a lot of people (including me now, but not originally) really
> prefer over GNOME 2. Various high profile people (cf. Linus Torvalds)
> panned GNOME Shell and skipped off to XFCE on GNOME 3 and then KDE.
>
> His attack on GNOME Shell was a bit OTT, but his move to KDE is entirely
> his choice.

Doesn't he just keep on switching between Gnome2. Gnome3, XFCE and KDE once
every 2 months?

Every now and then makes a comment that things are better, but ultimately
is annoyed that right click doesn't do what he wants it to do before going
away and doing what he is best at.

> Even if you just manage command line terminals, the evolution will hit
> you.
>
> It's analogous to the way Windows 7 evolved into Windows 8, but not so
> revolutionary.

Looks like a child made it.  I tested Server 2012 in a VM, couldn't find
the start menu until a colleague kindly pointed out that I need to put the
cursor in a very peculiar place in the bottom left hand side of the screen
that is rather difficult to get to if you are accessing via a console
window... Well done Microsoft, once again you've reaffirmed all the reasons
for dropping you in 2005... and gave me some new ones along the way too. ;)

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';