D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Matthew Caron matt.caron at redlion.net
Mon Jan 7 04:49:01 PST 2013

On 01/06/2013 10:18 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
> On 13-01-06 9:45 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 06, 2013 21:22:18 Pierre Rouleau wrote:
>>> Is this something that the most influential people in the D project want
>>> to fix?
>>
>> What exactly do you want fixed?
>
> Really, I would like to be able to start using D at work. And be in a
> position to be able to convince people to use it.

I found myself in the same position. My argument was:
  1. There is a clear language reference
  2. There are multiple implementations (DMD, GDC)
  3. D has a lot of really nice features that make it better than C

Now, you have to bear in mind, we don't do bytecode compiled languages
that run on a VM - it's just not our thing, we use too much real
hardware. Basically, D gives us all the fancy nice Java and C# features
while letting us access real hardware without having to write a C shim
to do it.

We do not require a fancy cohesive roadmap, because we realize it's a
FLOSS project and is therefore subject to the whims of its developers.
If we want to influence said development, then we'll jump in or issue a
bounty for things to be fixed.

In the grand scheme of things, we've found this strategy to produce more
time savings and value than it consumes. However, this does take a
certain amount of buy in from your company management. Luckily, one of
the company founders was an early embracer of Linux.

--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com