D 1.076 and 2.061 release

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 05:09:01 PST 2013

On 13-01-07 7:49 AM, Matthew Caron wrote:
> On 01/06/2013 10:18 PM, Pierre Rouleau wrote:
>>>
>>> What exactly do you want fixed?
>>
>> Really, I would like to be able to start using D at work. And be in a
>> position to be able to convince people to use it.
>
> However, this does take a
> certain amount of buy in from your company management.

It does, and from other people too.

> Luckily, one of
> the company founders was an early embracer of Linux.

It's not the case for my situation.

The worst part I see is that bug fixes and new feature introductions are
lumped together inside releases. Combined with the fact that the
development is not predictable means that if you develop products with D
you have to keep updating it.  If you get stuck with a bug and wait for
the release that fixes it, when that release comes out it could very
well bring new language features that break the code that you have
already written.

It would be nice to have bug fixes separated from new feature
introductions by having major and minor releases and branches for these
releases.  Contributors of a release could backport bug fix in the
release they use if that was required by their project using the now old
compiler version.

Of course I realize that this means more overall work, more people,
someone or a set of people in charge of release management, etc...

--
/Pierre Rouleau