D/Objective-C 64bit

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 18 00:11:04 PST 2014

On 2014-12-17 20:51, Christian Schneider wrote:

> OMG, what did you do? all my beautiful appkit and foundation header
> files are destroyed! do you plan any other such attacks?

Hopefully no :)

> lol, i must admit, i was a bit shocked about this sudden surprise. what
> is the main motivation? i thought the old style looked good because it
> made visually clear that it was glue into objective-c, as it looked very
> familiar.

The reason for the change is that the old syntax, [foo:bar:], required
language changes wheres the new syntax, @selector("foo:bar:"), doesn't.
When D/Objective-C was initially created D didn't support UDA's, that's
why a new syntax was invented. If D had supported UDA's back then, that
would most likely have been used.

Hopefully this will also increase the chances of D/Objective-C being
merged with upstream DMD.

> with a little scripting / string processing i can adapt to the
> new style, i guess.

I updated all the tests quickly with some global search and replace
using regular expression.

--
/Jacob Carlborg