Call D code from C#

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Jan 11 10:43:16 PST 2014

On 2014-01-10 22:50, TC wrote:

> I looked at it and on the first sight it seems as a wrapper around GTK
> on linux side and native windows toolkit on windows. In this case I
> would probably rather use gtkd directly and hope for fewer problems.
> (but both should be tried and decided after that, DWT seems to be more
> OOP friendly so easier to use).

It's quite a lot more than a wrapper. It's its own GUI toolkit. But yes,
on Linux it uses GTK+.

> If I understand it correctly, its backed up with GTK2 on linux? (SWT
> seems to get GTK3 support in october 2013, but don't know if its already
> released).

Yes, it uses GTK+. DWT is quite an old port, 3.4 to be exact.

> My point is, that GTKD, DWT are for sure pretty usable. But they lack
> modern features and portability and if I will be in position to choose
> UI framework for multiplatform business app, I will end up with Qt 5.x
> for sure.

What do you mean lack portability? I'm currently working on the Mac OS X
port.

> It seems that D is advancing to be ARM ready, wouldn't it be nice to be
> able to write UI apps for Android, iOS, WinRT, whatever in D?

Yeah, of course.

The advantage of DWT is that is uses the native toolkit on each platform
(Linux doesn't really have one). No additional libraries are required
except for the system libraries.

--
/Jacob Carlborg