New debugger for D!!!

Sarath Kodali sarath at dummy.com
Tue Jan 28 08:16:46 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 06:34:50 UTC, dennis luehring
wrote:
> Am 28.01.2014 04:00, schrieb Sarath Kodali:
>> I'm also
>> planning to add a JSON or CSV output format so that it will be
>> easy to parse the output when integrating with IDEs. So I would
>> recommend that you wait till I release 1.0 version - sometime
>> before Dconf 2014 - hopefully!
>
> why don't ease the IDE integration even more - for example
> the pin tool from intel (ptools.org) is a normal executable
> (the server)
> but you can give pin a tool/commander dll per commandline which
> is then responsible for controling the debugger - this way its
> very easy to integrate the debugger into any environment fast
> and performant
>
> examples
>
> pin.exe -t idadbg.dll <- starts pin with an IDA-tool-dll to be
> able to
> control pin with the ida debugger
>
> pin.exe -t vsdbg.dll <- starts pin with an vs-studio debug
> helper
> this way you can use pin as an debugger for VStudio
>
> etc.
>
> csv and json is nice - but there a much nicer ways of doing ipc

I expect this is how it will be even with dbg and IDEs. The IDE
will have a plugin that sits between the debugger and IDE. The
communication between the IDE plugin and debugger will be over a
socket and the dbg output will be in JSON format so that IDE
plugin can parse it properly. Depending on the IDE, the plugin
will be either a library (dll) or an independent executable.