Per popular demand, here are Adam D Ruppe's presentation slides

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon May 26 22:22:55 PDT 2014

On 5/26/2014 9:57 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 01:42:27 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> heh yeah, but I've been trying to quit cussing entirely.
>
> oh a fun addendum to this, I told a friend of mine (whom I haven't
> actually known that long) that I was trying to quit, and she was
> incredulous that I even swore at all. She said "I can't picture you
> swearing... there's a whole other side to you!"

Similar story here: I've never been one to shy away from swearing (not
that I normally seek it out just for the heck of it or anything - though
some might might that surprising <g>), but back in high school it seemed
like *every* time I'd swear, there was always somebody around who'd get
a deer-in-the-headlights look on their face and say "Nick! I've never
heard you swear before!"

My mental-only response was always "Uhh, you must not have heard me talk
much before..." ;)  Which was probably quite likely, mainly since...

> BTW that's one thing about in-person conferences that is kinda
> meta-fascinating too, seeing people rather than just email text. Even if
> I knew what some of you look and sound like from previous videos or
> pictures, it was still a bit of a surprise to meet there. Of course, at
> the same time, while I'm fairly talkative and even a little forward on
> emails, in person I tend to prefer to just hide in a corner until
> someone approaches me, but even then just kinda slinker off and go back
> to hiding before long.... so yeah.

Yea, same here. I can be a regular chatterbox in this NG, but in person
I've always tended to be very quiet. Used to be *really* shy for a long
time. Not quite so much now (HS and college developed a rebellious "fuck
this shit"/"just don't give a rat's ass" ballsy streak in me), but I
still tend toward the quiet and socially-awkward side whenever I'm not
around people I already know really well.

I always chalked it up to the whole "nerd" thing: Inverse relationship
in outgoingness between in-person vs semi-anonymous. (Although I'm
probably closer to "otaku" nerd than "taped-glasses" nerd, FWIW). That,
and on-the-fly comms is more difficult than "prep first then send" anyway.