DVM - D Version Manager 0.4.3

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 3 06:10:28 PDT 2014

On 03/09/14 11:08, Chris wrote:

> If I install dmd 2.066 with dvm, it won't overwrite or change anything?

No, the whole idea is to have multiple compilers installed simultaneous.

> I'll soon be moving my code from 2.065 to 2.066, but I want to keep
> 2.065 around for a while to maintain existing code till the transition
> is complete.

Yes, that's the whole idea.

> And how do I integrate it with dub?

It doesn't have a direct integration with Dub. But that's the other part
of the idea. Just run "dvm use <compiler_version>" to set the version
you want to use. When Dub runs DMD it will use the one you chose
earlier. It works with any tool invoking DMD in the same session as you
run "dvm use".

This all works on the command line. If you have some form of IDE chose
the location where DVM installs the compilers. On Posix this will be
~/.dvm and on Windows this will be
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\dvm. Then either pick any of the
following:

* <path_to_dvm>/bin/dmd-<version> - for a specific compiler version

* <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-current-dc - the compiler you chose last time
with "dvm use <version>"

* <path_to_dvm>/bin/dvm-default-dc - the default compiler, set with "dvm
use <version> -d"

--
/Jacob Carlborg