Gary Willoughby: "Why Go's design is a disservice to intelligent programmers"

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 02:15:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 01:35:47 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> We need to do better at empowering people.

it's fairly easy: just pay them for the tasks.

most people using D to solve *their* task at hand, and if they see
something wrong, they report it as an issue (sometimes) and go on with
their task, designing workarounds. there is no way you can force people
to drop their tasks and do something different. only sometimes, when they
continuously hit by something in Phobos, they writing patches. yet that
patches will not be widely available until the next compiler release,
which means that if people plan to publish their code, they *have* to
write workarounds anyway. and if there is workaround written, there is
less motivation to write a patch that fixes the thing.

for GNU/Linux everything is even worse, as DMD cannot be included in
repositories as free software (it isn't), so we have GDC/LDC, which are
much slower with releases, and much slower with repo updates.

what *can* help here is free DMD (in FSF definition) and monthly
releases. this is not a silver bullet, but it's easier to convince
maintainers of various distributives to work on free compiler.