two points

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 9 01:49:53 PST 2017

On 2/8/2017 11:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> And any PRs I have managed to get through were all uphill battles the whole way.

You have contributed 5 PRs to dmd:

   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Aabscissa

     1 is open (it's controversial)

     1 closed (today by me)

     3 merged
         1 in 6 days
         2 in 1 day

Overall, I think you've done well.

   https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Aabscissa

     5 PRs, 3 merged.

   https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Aabscissa

     14 PRs, 1 merged. (I didn't check all the reviews, but the ones I did
looked fair.)

---

In any case, shouldn't it be an uphill battle to merge things? There are a lot
of things that need to be satisfied to merge something. Being too hasty leads to
legacy code that we come to regret, angry people whose code was broken, and
technical debt.

Check out our current list of regressions:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=regression&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=213638&query_format=advanced

Hasty merges wind up there, and usually someone other than the one who broke it
has to fix it.