Questionnaire

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 11 06:47:28 PST 2017

On 2/11/17 5:04 AM, bachmeier wrote:
> On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 23:02:38 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> Go - they value simplicity and robust run-time (Go's GC breaks news
>> with sub-milisecond pauses on large heaps). The sheer complexity of D
>> is enough for it to be a hard sell, D's GC is coup de grace.
>
> I have never understood the appeal of Go. With respect to the GC,
> there's this:
> https://blog.plan99.net/modern-garbage-collection-911ef4f8bd8e#.o6pxesvuw

Has nothing new to say, yes GO's GC fragments heap, is slower at
allocation and adds "read/write barriers from hell". But it does
optimize for short pauses, which in turn avoids ugly spikes in server
workloads and that is priceless. I have had the pleasure of trying to
"tune away" the GC spikes of Java cluster software - it's not pleasant.

> With respect to "simplicity", I found it to be easy to learn a language
> that makes it hard to get stuff done. I've never understood the argument
> that programming in Go is simple. Clearly others have their own view.

I agree with your view on this one. Go puts both advanced and novice
programmers on the same ground - both have to write dumb code with
little to no abstraction. In my limited time with Go I found it futile
to abstract away even the most trivial patterns such as map-reduce with
concurrency.

---
Dmitry Olshansky