Release D 2.074.1

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 3 12:57:36 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 19:31:51 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Tags are only made from the stable branch.

The point is that the VERSION file is wrong in the officially
tagged release source.

> Well, as mentioned minor point releases have never been changed
> in the git repo before:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commits/stable/VERSION

Yes, and this is wrong.  It means that one cannot reliably build
from unmodified source and wind up with a DMD that accurately
describes its own version.

It's a mistake that remains tolerated, despite the problem being
known and having an associated issue, because the dlang/installer
scripts work around it, meaning the fundamental problem never
gets fixed.

> So I'm not sure how necessary it is.

The problem here is that anyone downstream wanting to build or
package from source has to work around this issue, that without
manual intervention, the version information of the compiler will
be incorrect.

If that's not fixed in how dmd itself is managed (NOT the
dlang/installer scripts), this will continue to be an unnecessary
burden on downstream packagers.

> Anyhow, the interesting bits are here:

I very much appreciate your pointing me to material that can help
me create a workaround.  But I'd feel a lot better about
implementing such a workaround if I felt sure that there was a
clear understanding of why it matters to fix this properly in dmd
itself.

Note, I don't say anything about what such a fix should be, so
please don't assume that I'm asking for any particular thing to
be done.  (There are a variety of ideas in the open issue.)  What
I'm asking is that it should be possible to build from unmodified
source and have correct version info in the compiler.