I have a plan.. I really DO

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Jul 1 14:01:11 UTC 2018

On Sunday, July 01, 2018 13:37:32 Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 12:43:53 UTC, Johannes Loher wrote:
> > Am 01.07.2018 um 14:12 schrieb Ecstatic Coder:
> >> Add a 10-liner "Hello World" web server example on the main
> >> page and that's it.
> >
> > There already is one in the examples:
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/env dub
> > /+ dub.sdl:
> > name "hello_vibed"
> > dependency "vibe-d" version="~>0.8.0"
> > +/
> > void main()
> > {
> >
> >     import vibe.d;
> >     listenHTTP(":8080", (req, res) {
> >
> >         res.writeBody("Hello, World: " ~ req.path);
> >
> >     });
> >     runApplication();
> >
> > }
>
> Yeah I know, guess who asked for it...
>
> But the last step, which is including such functionality into the
> standard library , will never happen, because nobody here seems
> to see the point of doing this.
>
> I guess those who made that for Go and Crystal probably did it
> wrong.
>
> What a mistake they did, and they don't even know they make a
> mistake, silly them... ;)

What should and shouldn't go in the standard library for a language is
something that's up for a lot of debate and is likely to often be a point of
contention. There is no clear right or wrong here. Languages that have had
very sparse standard libraries have done quite well, and languages that have
had kitchen sink libraries have done quite well. There are pros and cons to
both approaches.

- Jonathan M Davis