Symmetry Autumn of Code

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 22:07:00 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 at 16:33:10 UTC, Zheng (Vic) Luo wrote:

> I'm interested in the "Graphics library for resource
> constrained embedded systems" project and have some spare time
> this autumn, but I have some questions:
> - Does this project aim at creating a hardware-agnostic
> rasterizer supporting a few primitives like https://skia.org/
> or implementing a full GUI library like emWin rendering widget
> and handling I/O events such as mouse? The latter one sounds a
> little bit challenging to finish in four months

I'm JinShil, the one who proposed the idea.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing the work, you can make
it into whatever you'd like, but I would consider a basic 2D,
anti-aliasing rasterizer to be a success.  I have in mind
something like http://www.antigrain.com or Skia.  A bonus would
be a font renderer that leverages the aforementioned rasterizer
(See also
https://medium.com/@raphlinus/inside-the-fastest-font-renderer-in-the-world-75ae5270c445).

The software should be efficient enough to use on embedded
systems like https://github.com/JinShil/stm32f42_discovery_demo
Under that constraint, you'd probably want to try to accomplish
the task with the -betterC-like subset of the language
(https://dlang.org/spec/betterc.html).  That being said, there's
no reason the software couldn't be used on a PC with resources to
spare, and it would probably be easier to do the development on a
PC and just verify the implementation on an microcontroller
periodically.

I, myself, don't have much experience in graphics, so I don't
know if I'd be a very good mentor, but if you have any questions
about the goal or use case for the project, let me know.

> - In the past year I primarily wrote C++ and don't have much
> experiences with production-level D programming, can I get
> involved into this program?

I think much of your experience with C++ will carry forward to D,
but there will still be a learning curve.

Mike