Vision document for H1 2018

Dylan Graham dylan.graham2000 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:25:07 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 01:10:28 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 00:36:19 UTC, Dylan Graham wrote:
>>
>> Every day D becomes more like C++ 2.0, why can't it just be D?
>
> Oddly enough, I think this is D's strength.

I really don't.

> Golang tried to draw the line, and look where that got it. Now
> it's a limited language for a specific domain  (at least until
> Go 3.0).
>
> Rust decided (and Go to some extent), to introduce foreign
> syntax that was vastly different to what the majority of
> programmers are familiar with, and, it makes it difficult to
> transistion to because its syntax is so unlike the syntax most
> people will continue to have to work with.
>
> D's strength, is that most C/C++/Java/C# programmers can just
> jump right in and use it. And, they can continue to go back and
> forth without syntax related psychosis developing.
>
> betterc is just another way of supporting that crowd..and it's
> a very big crowd.

Yeah, 29% of the crowd.

> Your problem is not betterc, but something else. So focus on
> that instead.

You're right, my problem isn't BetterC, it's the fact that
Foundation can't get its priorities right. BetterC is a symptom.

> And personally, depending on the problem, C# is better to
> program in than D. I still don't know why C# programmers are
> willing to give up C# and prefer to use D.
> C# is vastly surperior for what it does.

I'm my current use-case, D is 'vastly superior'. I wouldn't have
switched to D if there was no reason to.

> D is also particulary useful for some problems.
>
> Better to use both, not one or the other.
>
> Thanks to not being Go or Rust, you can do that - cause
> concepts, syntax  etc, are really compatible with both.

I'm not sure what you mean at that last sentence.