D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Laeeth isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Thu Nov 29 09:18:35 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 13:30:37 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 12:48:46 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>>
>> Nassim Taleb raises the question of how do you choose between
>> two surgeons, both recommended.  One looks the part and hangs
>> his many certificates on his office wall.  The other looks
>> scruffy with the appearance of a tradesman.  Who do you pick?
>> Taleb says pick the guy who doesn't look the part because if
>> he got there without signalling he must have something going
>> for him.
>

> It's definately the kind of surgeon one should choose -
> programmers that are not necessarily well groomed etc.. - but
> is it the kind of surgeon people will actually recommend? I'm
> doubtful.
>
> If X has the social signalling then people will recommend X
> even without trying, because it's socially safe.
>
> If one doesn't have the signalling, I've found the hard way
> even supporters will hesitate a bit before making
> recommendations, because of the social standing _cost_ it may
> have.
>
> But then, perhaps recommendations don't matter, because
> opinions don't matter much? I think they matter to be even
> heard on public places.
>
> And I think early adopters need a nudge, the influent need to
> be bothered by less influents (influencers are not especially
> on the lookout for new options, as they are already influent).
> Above all I think the niche of early-adopters is smaller than
> the larger market for languages, and the early-adopters are
> going elsewhere.

The innovator's dilemma, which is really an insight that dates
back to Toynbee, and before that Ibn Khaldun, is not so obvious.
I am not sure that you have understood it.  I suggest reading the
book if you are interested, but otherwise I unfortunately don't
have so much time at the moment to try to persuade you of what
this phenomenon is like and there's limited value to talking
about talking rather than having a discussion based on a shared
understanding of what this is about.