DConf 2019 Livestream

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu May 9 05:54:31 UTC 2019

>> "When joining: Please connect using Internet Explorer, not Google
>> Chrome or another web
>> browser."
>>
>> You guys can't be serious, you're using WebEx?
>
> Not us. The venue.
[...]

 > Sorry about that.  It was supposed to be streaming to YouTube, but it
 > fell through the cracks.  We are looking into it now.
[...]

 >> I had to click Audio Connection -> Computer to get audio.
 >
 > You mean the "Call using computer" option.  That gives me an error:
 >
 > "Can't Call Using Computer, We're having a problem connecting to audio
 > using your computer. Choose another audio connection option or try
again."
[...]

 > I gave up. I hope they will record the conference and publish it later.

[...]
 > Now I get to bring the bad news. There's an issue right now with YouTube
 > flipping the video horizontally in the livestream such that everything
 > is backwards. They've been trying to find a solution for it but are so
 > far unable to.
[...]

 > The venue is not recording the videos through WebEx, so there's nothing
 > to publish. There's another guy running a separate camera for the
 > recordings.
[...]
[...]
[...]

This sort of stuff happens literally EVERY year! At this point, you can
pretty much guarantee that for any Dconf, Day 1's keynote doesn't get
professionally livestreamed, if its recorded at all. At the very LEAST,
it makes us look bad.

Is there SOMETHING we can do about this moving forward? Maybe use
Dconf/Dfoundation funds to hire a proven video crew not reliant on
venue, or something...?