Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:12:00 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 15:36:47 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> I see what you are saying, but that is a "controlling" position
> to hold.
>
> Once a language break into the mainstream, there is no way to
> control the community. Any attempt to contain the community to
> this or that medium is the reverse way to think: it is the
> community that dictates where it should hang out. You would't
> expect the C++ or COBOL community to hang out in the same
> newsgroup, don't you?

It is not a controlling position, it is more like a seeding,
weeding and cultivating exercise. So, you can have many small
patches of land, one advantage might be that it is more resistant
to disease. But it is also a lot more work to reach the same
productivity levels and what happens if the person that takes
care of that local patch of land leaves it unattended?

It is not a question of dictating anything, but of having a clear
strategy where people gravitate towards a desirable outcome. Rust
did this by heavy moderation in their forums, "preventing
disease", then you have have a quite large hub. Many smaller hubs
allows more local norms, but small communities tend to dissolve
when the main caretaker leaves, so that is a significant weakness.

One can probably write 20 pages on for-against, which I have no
intent of doing, but if it is ENDORSED by the D community then
there is a responsibility for making sure that the quality in
that group is high (both socially, long term availability  and in
terms of advice given).

> (OT: no ad hominem at all in my posts... but you talk about a
> "deliberate attempt to fracture", this is imo far from reality)

(Maybe not intentional on your part, but yes, it is ad hominem to
make claims about what the other person does or does not
understand.)

If you have multiple groups that are perceived as official then
that is obviously a fracture. I fail to see how that is not a
deliberate attempt to fracture. How many seemingly official
groups have to be established before the effect is fracturing in
your opinion?

Just like the D community gravitated towards dforum announce (and
the programming reddit) and more or less agreed to not use the D
subreddit for announcing their projects. If you have an official
group then you have to be prepared to follow up that group so
people get good advice. Two groups is more work than one, not
complicated.

Clearly, anyone can create a group for anything, anywhere. That
is not an issue, the issue is to make it more than a local group
(e.g. "official") and what the overall long term outcome actually
is (strategic).