DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Format Assessment

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Feb 24 14:55:16 UTC 2020

On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 08:43:57 UTC, Robert M. Münch
wrote:

> I mean, people spend a lot of time thinking, making
> suggestions, etc. and the end result is: we now have nothing.
> Which, IMO is the worst result for all.

We don't have nothing. There's an option value of not making a
decision at this time. Once you decide to go forward with a
string interpolation proposal, you're deciding not to go forward
with any other similar proposal for many years, or even forever.
This is IMO a minor feature (not a big deal if we don't have it).
If you're going to do it, do it right. In some cases, there's
really no way to know until you have a formal proposal and
discuss the heck out of it whether it's worth going forward.