New DConf Online 2020 Lightning Talk and a new Task Bounty

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Nov 2 15:08:43 UTC 2020

On Monday, 2 November 2020 at 14:05:07 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> An anonymous donor has seeded a new Task Bounty with $400. The
> task: execute a new release of the dub-registry project.

Tagging was never a problem as registry is/was building fine from
master:

https://github.com/dlang/dub-registry/releases/tag/v2.4.0

There are not so many tags because the registry is in maintenance
mode and critical bug fixes are often directly deployed from
master.

Anyhow, the real problem is that no one except Sönke has access
to the registry server for deploying a release and the DLF at
least in the past wasn't interested in paying for the registry
server(s) themselves, s.t. they could be setup in such a way that
multiple people have access to it.

I do _not_ want the bounty and while I appreciate that people
want to support the D ecosystem, I do not understand why we put
up a bounty to run "git tag" which would have no impact as
deployment is the issue. IMHO we should address the real issues
(registry lacking features + registry deployment).

A worrying side note here is that there have been many private
and public mails about the root causes (three years ago the
registry was crashing because the VM only had 200M of memory and
a small GC leak made the server collect slightly more memory than
it should). Anyhow, even without prior knowledge an email to
anyone who has ever contributed code to the registry - aka its
maintainers - (e.g. Sönke, Martin, WebFreak, ZombineDev, Mathias,
...) would have yielded this information - very similar to the
recent LDC bounty that was done without contacting any of the LDC
maintainers.