DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 17:07:46 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 16:20:07 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> I did not reply (and do not intend to reply) to any of the
> numerous other statements you have made in your other replies
> to this thread, since they are statements about the design of
> the D language and the DIP process in general, and are not
> directly relevant to DIP 1038.

Well, but it is relevant to the outcome.

In C++ I find that the more are strive to write semantically
beautiful code, the less visually beautiful it becomes.

My modern C++ code is littered with ```[[nodiscard]]``` and other
attributes.

If a language that is equally capable allows me to write code
that is both semantically beautiful and visually beautiful then
that would offset some of the disadvantages with using a small
language. I think many C++ programmers feel that way.

Big opportunity that is up for grabs there.