DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:45:20 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 19:14:50 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Let me rephrase: I do not understand why you feel the need to
> direct these messages at me, personally.

I am sorry if you felt I was addressing you personally. That was
not intended, maybe bad phrasing on my part. (I tend to send
email when addressing people personally!  :-)

I am more trying to convey what I see has gone wrong in the
"modern C++" design department to "the community" in some hope
that D can do better. But right now it seems like "C++ did this"
is treated like a validation, rather than a warning. "@mustUse"
will literally be on every single function that I write that
returns something… because it is almost always a bug to ignore a
return value! In summary: This feature deserves a higher priority
than library status.

> If you have ideas or concerns you wish to present to D's
> leadership, my advice is to either (a) write a DIP, or (b) get
> in touch with Mike Parker about attending one of the D Language
> Foundation's monthly meetings (see the bottom of [his latest
> meeting summary post][1] for details).

Yes, I am considering a DIP on parametric-aliases at least, where
I think C++ currently has an edge. Thanks for tipping me about
those meetings, I didn't know one could apply for participation.
That might be a possibility in the future, although I think I
probably should try to find time to participate in those
beer-meetings first to get a rough idea of what is achievable. No
point in going to a formal meeting without knowing what the
terrain is like. :-)