Poll for D Game Dev

Mike Shah mshah.475 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:01:56 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 4 January 2023 at 02:54:51 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> Hello D Game Developers. As you guys know, I have been
> developing a cross platform game engine for some years right
> now. I'm close to release version 1.0. If everything goes
> right, I can do it before the Global Game Jam, though I'm still
> studying other related things.
>
> My engine is stable right now (probably won't have a massive
> refactor for quite a time), and I would like to ask some things
> for you guys only to know which priorities to give in my
> roadmap:
>

> 1: Would you be interested in participating in a D game jam?
> I'm going to promote those in near future with paid prizes
> (though those are going to require using my engine as its main
> purpose is making it better).

I'm hoping to find some time for the Global Game Jam coming up.
I'm likely to use D or some combination of D and C-based
libraries.

> 2: Why did you started using D for developing games?

To learn more :)

> 3: What frameworks, libraries or game engines are you using for
> D? Are you developing your own?

SDL2 (and eventually 3) and OpenGL

> 3.1: What do you like more about the framework you're using?
> 3.2: What do you dislike about the framework you're using?

Generally like the platform support with SDL (meaning it runs on
linux, mac, windows, etc.).

Generally, when developing games I spent a bit of time on the
abstraction.

> 4: What the D ecosystem is missing for you to develop your own
> game?

I think D ecosystem is missing iOS support. SDL and OpenGL are
enough for the time being otherwise (eventually I'll look more at
vulkan-d)

> 5: How much do you care about the game engine being betterC
> compatible? And why?

I haven't done much with betterC yet -- but that is likely
something that will get attention from game devs.

> 6: Which kind of game do you plan to develop? 2D or 3D? Which
> platform are you targeting?

Both 2D/3D and targeting Desktop and Android.

> 7: Are you looking to sell your game or just toying with the D
> language ( not going to make any serious project )? Why?

Right now I'm faculty, but thinking hard about more graphics/game
dev tools and building serious projects in D.