Poll for D Game Dev

thebluepandabear therealbluepandabear at protonmail.com
Wed Jan 4 05:34:56 UTC 2023

> 1: Would you be interested in participating in a D game jam?
> I'm going to promote those in near future with paid prizes
> (though those are going to require using my engine as its main
> purpose is making it better).

I am interested in the game jam idea, although -- with all due
respect -- I prefer to use other 'engines' such as CSFML D
bindings.

> 2: Why did you started using D for developing games?

I started a week or two ago and it's been going well. I just like
2d graphics and I want to improve my D language knowledge. I like
2d games and the pixel art style so I'm thinking of making that
type of game.

> 3: What frameworks, libraries or game engines are you using for
> D? Are you developing your own?

CSFML D bindings.

> 3.1: What do you like more about the framework you're using?

It's easy to use and fast.

> 3.2: What do you dislike about the framework you're using?

It's low level, is not OOP so I have to create pseudo OOP
functions with templates, I also don't have access to some
abstract classes, it's not too bad though.

Also, the syntax is quite long such as `sfRectangleShape_setSize`
instead of `setSize` or simply `sfRect_setSize`.

Should I have picked SDL? Am I just being that annoying kid in
class for picking CSFML?

> 4: What the D ecosystem is missing for you to develop your own
> game?

I wish there was an OOP based SFML bindings (not sure how you'd
go around doing that...?) as D is an OOP language and I like OOP.
It's still possible to write OOP with CSFML, so it's not too much
of an issue.

> 5: How much do you care about the game engine being betterC
> compatible? And why?

I'm a noob I don't know what 'betterC' means.

> 6: Which kind of game do you plan to develop? 2D or 3D? Which
> platform are you targeting?

2d game, I am targeting all platforms, but my main goal is Linux
as Windows/MAC is proprietary NSA spyware.

> 7: Are you looking to sell your game or just toying with the D
> language ( not going to make any serious project )? Why?

I don't care about money when it comes to writing code.
Everything I have made so far is FOSS and will continue to be
FOSS, I don't like proprietary stuff. I will make a serious
project in the future and it will be FOSS.

Btw this is a snake game I recently made (still WIP) so check it
out: https://github.com/therealbluepandabear/Snake

apologies if I didn't answer things well, I am tired and it's
late here