Whither DWT?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Apr 19 04:06:01 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:

> Personally, I've joined Stewart in the conversion of the Windows API,
> which seems to me to be necessary for all frameworks. I think this is a
> case where a bottom-up approach is the most promising.

It is not needed if the interface to the system is written in C or C++,
instead of D ? (some GUI libraries use this approach, like DIUP or wxD)

But for a framework written all in D it is needed, and it's a problem...
For Mac OS X, one needs to convert all the Carbon API framework headers.

When doing a minimalist approach, like MinWin, one can probably get away
with just declaring the used stuff on the fly and not the whole thing...

Another possibility is basing a framework on some portable ground, like
for instance SDL or OpenGL. But it wouldn't feel very "native", then ?

--anders